Wow.

Ok, so I wanted to update you on my Stained Glass afghan. So I checked my last post on it to see how far I had gotten when I last annoyed you all about it…and it was about the first square and then how my first 4 looked next to each other.

That’s pathetic. I’m now 20 squares in, and have been joining them together because I’m impatient. I also didn’t want to join 30 at once, plus I wanted to see how the layout would work.

My original layout sucked. I had the squares written out as “AB, AC, BA, etc.”, and when I was making my first layout, I assumed it was the first letter that was more important. So I tried my best to not have AB and AC next to each other, but I had several instances where, for example, a BA was next to a CA. The second color is more of an accent color, right?

Yeah, when I tested that layout, it failed. You can kind of see that in my photo from a while ago when I put 4 next to each other.

wpid-20140924_220819.jpg

Huh…even though hot pink is the “accent” color, it kinda overpowers the first color. And it’s not just the blinding hot pink that has that issue, trust me. I tested all the square combinations.

Oh, and it doesn’t have anything to do with the topic, but here’s my picture of “how big will this afghan be?”…

20140927_115444

At least in height. I apparently tested this when I only had 8 squares done, but there’s the 6 length-wise, and 3 of the width, with a library book for scale. Anyway…

So instead, I reworked my layout but didn’t put second colors next to the same thing. That sounds confusing, but you get the point. AB next to AC? Fine! AB next to CB? Hell no.

That layout worked surprisingly well. And it was good enough that I started joining rows! Just because I felt like it, I joined width-wise instead of the columns. No real reason.

Here’s the first 2 rows:

20141010_130151

Pretty, right? That’s what really made me think “ok, this is going to work out”. It’s the exact look I was going for. It kind of looks random and mixed together, but no squares are next to the same color to look all weird. The dark squares (purple and raspberry in either order) still look a little odd next to each other, but there was no way to prevent that. It doesn’t look too bad in person, I swear.

Especially when the blanket grows:

IMG_20141011_222707 (1)

Ignore the feet. It’s surprisingly hard to take pictures of an afghan laid out on the floor!

This is 17 squares joined together, and I believe in the meantime I’ve added 3 more. And last night, I put another 2 on blocking mats, so I’m nearing the end!!!!

I know I don’t take enough pictures of the process…I’m trying to handle all this social media shit. I mostly put my pictures on Instagram, so if you want to see more progress pictures of all my projects, feel free to follow “crochetabby” on there. It’ll be like 90% crochet, and then 10% miscellaneous stuff because I sometimes feel like it, ok? Everyone Instagrams their snacks once in a while 🙂

Anyway, just wanted to share how happy I am with this blanket. I am not regretting it one bit, and I’m overjoyed at how it’s turning out. Selling it is going to be hard, but I need the money…for more yarn. So I’ll forge onward and eventually it’ll be in a new home for someone to enjoy it!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s