It’s my birthday!

So I might as well admit to all of you what I’m doing with my Knitpicks yarn. Why?

1. I wanted an excuse because I’m really excited about it and it’s going really well.

2. It’s related to something that’s happening in about a week.

3. Finishing my shawl recently means one less WIP to feel guilty about!

So, without any further stalling, I will admit that I am making…

A pixelated Captain America blanket!

Yeah, I know, it’s pretty awesome. I’m frustrated because I can’t find the plan I drew out for it…it was on graph paper and looked all cool. I need to find that eventually or this will suck to put together.

What I can show you, though, is what it (he?) looks like so far:


That is 32 squares–26 blue, 6 red. I made as many squares as I could with the blue I purchased, but I can’t buy anymore right now. So it was time to move on to the red!

Here’s a close-up of a square, I feel like the detail works better in red:


Yes, I know the ends are all hanging out. I’m really bad about that, so I’m going to get all the squares done and then sit down with a good movie (or 5) and finish them all off at once. It’s what I learned to motivate myself.

This is the first project I’ve done completely freehand. I saw similar ideas on sites like Ravelry and the crochet subreddit, so I wanted to make my own. Why Captain America? Because my fiance loves superheroes, and I wanted to pick one. He was watching a Winter Soldier trailer at the time, so…seemed like a good idea to me!

I printed out graph paper, took markers in red/blue/black and drew out my plan in dots. I then counted how many squares I’d need of each color, and I’ll share that on here to keep track of my progress:

138 Gray

74 Black

46 Blue (20 left!)

22 Red (16 left!)

16 White

8 Skin/Tan/Whatever color you want to call it

I found a “tight” granny square pattern online with 3 DCs in each space and 1 chain in between, and I liked how it looked for my purpose. I wanted granny squares because they’re super easy to make but still take up space so I wouldn’t need a billion. But I didn’t want them super open, so this worked out great.

I used a “G” hook because I liked the size. And that’s about all the thought that went into this. I made the square until it looked like a good size for me, about 3″ x 3″. By “good size” I meant that I knew it was 19 squares by 16 squares, so I made the granny square each round, measured it, and thought “if this is 2 by 2, then the blanket would be 38 by 30…” I liked the theoretical blanket size with 3 by 3, so that’s what I went with! I’m not sure if it’ll work in the end, but let’s see how it goes.

Alright, then, I’m going to go to stupid work on my birthday…*pout* Have fun crocheting and crafting and whatever it is you do!



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s